History of All Saints' Church, Church Lench

Images of All Saints' church, Church Lench

The parish church of All Saints' was originally built in the 12th century. Few traces of this building, consisting of a nave and a short chancel, now remain although the south doorway and the blocked-up north doorway have survived. The south aisle was added in the 14th and 15th centuries, initially as a Lady Chapel but later extended to form the complete aisle, with the Norman doorway being reset into the new southern wall. During the 15th century the nave roof was raised with the addition of the clerestory (upper) windows and a large window was inserted into the north wall of the nave.

The 15th century also saw the construction of the lower stages of the tower; work which was completed during the 16th century. The tower houses a peal of six bells, the fifth of which is dated 1600 and bears the names of the churchwardens and the inscription "GEVEF THANKS TO GOD". The remaining bells were cast by Taylor of Loughborough in 1869-76. The bells were re-hung in 2000 for the Millennium.

Frederick Preedy stained glass

During the middle of the 19th century the church was extensively renovated under the direction of Frederick Preedy; a vestry was added, the organ installed and the chancel and porch were completely rebuilt. Between 1854 and 1867 new stained glass, designed by Preedy, was inserted into most of the windows in the church - some of the earliest examples of his stained glass work. The church is listed as a grade II* building.

Click here to see information about the parish registers.